THE ART OF INVINCIBILITY

NZ WING CHUn OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF
VING CHUN KUEN - THE ART OF INVINCIBILITY

EARLE'S
  ACADEMY

FORUMS

Forum Home > General Discussion > Wing Chun 21st

RED, www.baywingchun.school.nz

Howdy folks.  How time flies huh?  Its been almost 21 years since I first stepped down stairs at Manchester Street and got face to face with Wing Chun.  Thanks to Sifu Kevin my life has changed from what certainly would have made most people shudder to what I am now- much more skilled yet less likely to do severe harm.  For those who remember my formative years and who helped me in my training, a very deep respect and a huge thanks. Your help was not in vain.

I started on Thursday 15 February, 1990.  I had seen the tv demonstration above the stairwell in Manchester Street on the Tuesday before.  On that Tuesday afternoon, I was on my way to find an Aikido school, having done Aikido previously.  The meeting with Sifu Kevin stopped my forearm in its tracks as did Wing Chun. Lucky for me...I was on the wrong track for sure until that moment. Despite Sifu Kevins ability I did have a test of my own though to see how real the system and its representative actually were.  I was a street fighter and was very brutal, perhaps somewhat sadistic.  My final question on that Tuesday afternoon was 'what would happen if I pulled out my gun and shot?'  Sifu Kevin replied saying simply that he would get shot.  His answer was as steady and sure as any previous part of our conversation.  There was no 'super man' or 'ego' drive in his response what so ever.  From that moment I was born into the life science I now understand as Wing Chun and I count Sifu Kevin as one of my true friends.

I also Must count Andrew Hamilton-Seymour, Rapheal Tony Stowers, Max Blumenthal, Honte, Awatea Edwin, Edward Benton and Martin Cooke amoung those who had major parts to play in my early training.  These guys trained with me despite my thuggish street ways. Thanks!  Thanks also to the people who are not mentioned but with whom I have touched hands.  I have been in the wilderness so to speak for many years but have trained deeply in my Siu Lim Tao.  I did not really afford myself the access to the other forms that others have pursued but have trained to be formidable in every sense. This has led me to met and train many people to whom I give thanks as well and has made a better person of me.

I am planning to celebrate on Saturday 20 Feb 2011 with a training session and meal in Papamoa  (close to Tauranga).  I think it will be small but students of Earles Academy and descendant scools will be most welcome.  I can be contacted through Sifu Kevin by phone or e-mailed at < ving.chunz@ gmail.com > for place and time should anyone find themselves able to attend.

In the meantime keep boxing on.

Cheers, Red

January 11, 2011 at 12:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rapheal

May you always be in good health, and your skills a pleasurable journey brother Red.

--

March 22, 2011 at 4:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.