THE ART OF INVINCIBILITY

NZ WING CHUn OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF
VING CHUN KUEN - THE ART OF INVINCIBILITY

EARLE'S
  ACADEMY

FORUMS

Forum Home > General Discussion > New Yip Man Movie

Joshofbass

I'm gonna head into central Beijing tomorrow to find a theatre with the new Yip Man movie. I saw some publicity about it here that showed how the new lead actor was in the second movie fighting against Donnie Yen's Yip Man. The new footage looked pretty cool. I will post more about it on Monday. 

Has it been released in NZ yet?

Another thing I have found is a 2006? series called Wing Chun starring Sammo Hung that looks interesting. Series like this are often sold here in the dvd stores as packs of 10 or so dvd's.. Hopefully I can find a good quality version..

July 2, 2010 at 9:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

VCK

Hi Josh, Ip man 2 opened in Auckland same weekend as Iron Man 2 and beat it on opening night and the weekend. Hasn't come to Christchurch. Good to hear you caught up with Jacim.

July 5, 2010 at 4:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Joshofbass

That's crazy. If it beat Iron Man 2, what kind of business are they running if they don't bring it to Chch?

I saw the new movie "Ip Man: The Legend is Born" a few days ago and I thought it was pretty good but nowhere near the quality of the first two.

The story was ok, but nothing too interesting. As far as I know Yip Man didn't really have an adopted brother, but what ever makes a movie right?  

The fight scenes suffered from the same problem that always makes Wing Chun hard to film. "It looks too easy." Yip Man never appeared to be in any real trouble. Having said that, the fights were still interesting and showcased a lot of Wing Chun both traditional and maybe modified...

For me the highlight was seeing Yip Chun as Leung Bik. Yip Chun obviously still has some Wing Chun in him even at his age. It was especially good to hear him say (loosely translated) "If I do it, then it's Wing Chun."  I have heard that Yip Chun had some influence on the writing of this movies and I think this can been seen iin the fight scenes and in the way they address differences between lineages.

If you can, go see it. I'm sure its out there on the web already...

July 5, 2010 at 8:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rush J.

Havent seen it yet but keen as, the 1st one was arguably the best Chun film to date.

Another favourite is the Prodigal Son with Yuen Biao (part of the trio with Sammo Hung and Jackie Chan). Its a bit flowery and "old school" gung fu-ish, but still cool. Also theres a series with Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao called Real Kung Fu and the main protagonist is a Chun practitioner, though its hard to come by.

July 6, 2010 at 11:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Joshofbass

I wonder if the series is the one known in Chinese simply as WingChun. I'll try to find it in the dvd shops here and maybe I could send someone a copy. Chinese series tend to be sold in packs of 40 or more episodes so I would have to mail it..

July 7, 2010 at 2:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rush J.

Yeah its confusing as Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung are in both according to the internet, however their characters are different, and "Wing Chun" concluded being filmed in 2007, whereas  "Real Kung Fu" finished in 2005, so I guess the former could be a remake or continuation of the latter? There was also a series called Wing Chun made about 1994 as well, just to complicate things more!

Mate if you could score such series over there I would definitely be keen, Ive ordered all sorts of rare gung fu DVDs from Hong Kong via Ebay etc, but could never find either of those series. Mind you doubt there would be subtitled versions eh?

July 7, 2010 at 5:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Joshofbass

Probably no subtitles, but I will check the stores as I get around the city. There are a lot of dvd shops so I should eventually stumble upon all of these..

July 10, 2010 at 3:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

AndrewHS

I have both series's in avi with srt (subtitle) format with each episode/file approx 350-400mb in size,both are approx 40 episodes with the latter -Wing Chun- also being condensed into a movie,which is 'plahp' ,first series Real Kung Fu focuses more on leung Jan with the second series wing Chun focusing on Leung Bik,be warned though theres a great smacking of romantic boredom in both series,there is also a fourth Yip Man movie due for release early next year.I can supply copies by arrangement or series can be downloaded if search,i downloaded from - http://www.dlaznmovies.com/ - great collection and good ddl servers,be sure to trawl through archives as there be a good lot of movies etc too many to list,i have acquired around 100-150gb of good viewing from here,some of the other series are worth ddl'ing as well.If you want to contact me relative to copies,email me [ [email protected] ] and ill explain terms of acquisition.Box on....and dont fly Emirates :)

November 28, 2010 at 6:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.